The Englishman was as low as 15th in the early stages of the wet race, but later benefited from choosing the hard front and hard rear tyres in spectacular fashion.
Valentino Rossi likewise struggled on the hard rear in the early stages before climbing back up the order to second place, with Marc Marquez completing the podium in third.
Ducati riders Andrea Iannone, Andrea Dovizioso and Scott Redding formed the lead group for most of the race. However all three would later suffer problems with the soft front tyre.
Jack Miller missed his second race in a row due to a hairline fracture of the T6 vertebrae last weekend.
An official test will be held at the circuit on Monday….
1. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 47m 44.290s
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 47m 51.588s
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 47m 53.877s
4. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 47m 56.848s
5. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 47m 57.383s
6. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 47m 58.102s
7. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 48m 7.704s
8. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 48m 8.852s
9. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 48m 8.871s
10. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 48m 21.421s
11. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 48m 24.201s
12. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 48m 25.387s
13. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 48m 27.492s
14. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 48m 29.977s
15. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 48m 46.491s
16. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 49m 3.131s
17. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) +1 lap
Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) DNF
Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) DNF
Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) DNF
Blue Name = No Concessions.
7 engine changes for the season. Engines must be identical throughout season within same team (development freeze). 5 days of private testing.
Black Name = Concessions.
9 engine changes. No engine development freeze. Unlimited private testing.